Sunday, May 20, 2012

Popcorn Ceiling

When we moved into this house, one of our first projects was supposed to be knocking down the popcorn ceiling. Over 2 years later, I finally did it while Jake was in California for a TDY.

While I had the furniture out, I went ahead and painted the walls as well. I ended up choosing Warm Gingerbread by Valspar.

Before:


After:


I did not worry about painting the edge where the wall meets the ceiling, because I'm hoping this will encourage Jake to put up trim very soon.

If you too were cursed with nasty popcorn ceilings, the take down isn't too bad. Get a spray bottle of water, spray a 2x2 section really good, and scrape it off with a spackling tool. Then spray a little more water, scrape again, and move on to the next section.

It's VERY messy and time consuming. You will for sure want to take out as much furniture as possible, then cover large furniture and carpet with plastic drop cloths.

Now that the room has been painted, I get to proceed with my redecorating ideas! I'm making the pillows today so I'll post them as soon as they are all done.

No comments:

Post a Comment