Sunday, April 15, 2012

Singer 4423

After months of frustration and hair-pulling-out, I finally bit the bullet and bought a new sewing machine. I got my first sewing machine a few years ago, and it was a good little machine. It was super cheap and was great for a beginner sewer, but I'll admit that now that I am more comfortable at sewing, I pushed that little machine too hard.

Like most other machines, it would jam every once in awhile, but after some cleaning and time to cool down it would work fine. Yesterday, after running it on full speed for over 4 hours, it really jammed and I couldn't get it to loosen at all. Today, Jake took the whole thing apart (it's handy having a mechanic around) but in the end we decided I have probably worn out the motor. I plan to take it to a sew and vac store here in town to get an idea how much it will cost to fix, and I may either give it away or get it fixed then try to sell it, but either way, I think I've outgrown this machine and it's time for an upgrade.

With the heavy projects that I've been making lately, and my tendency to run it with the pedal to the floor, I decided to use some of my state tax return to treat myself to this beauty:
This is a Singer 4423 Heavy Duty. Youtube videos show it sewing through 16 layers of denim and it boasts 1100 stitches per minute. It has limited stitch designs, but I honestly don't remember ever using anything besides the straight stitch...so I don't think I'm missing out. I used it for a few hours this afternoon, and so far so good. I'll admit that the drop in bobbin was a bit confusing and I got it tangled quite a few times, but I finally figured it out and it worked great to finish up gifts that I needed to finish for 2 baby showers this weekend.

I can't wait to share the baby gifts, but I don't want to risk one of the moms checking my blog and seeing the gift before her shower, so here is a little sneak peak...


I'll be sure to do a full post about this gift next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment